Posted on May 11th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Mark 8:34-38
Title: Meaning of Discipleship
1. What must one do to follow Christ?
2. What is this cross one must take up?
3. What arguments does Jesus offer for taking up this cross?
4. When does Jesus come in the glory of his Father with the holy angels?
Text: 1 Kings 2:16-28
Title: Testing Wisdom
1. Why is the king, Solomon, called upon to judge a case between two prostitutes?
2. What evidence is available to determine justice?
3. How does Solomon find evidence with which to resolve the matter?
4. What was the conclusion of all Israel?
5. From where did Solomon’s wisdom come?
Posted on April 29th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Mark 8:27-33
Title: Why Must Christ Die?
1. What are the prevailing opinions about Jesus?
2. What confession did Peter make concerning Jesus?
3. Why must Jesus suffer and die?
4. In what was Peter sincerely wrong?
Text: 1 Kings 2:5-15
Title: Seeking Wisdom
1. What does God ask?
2. What does Solomon acknowledge?
3. For what does Solomon ask?
4. What responsibility does Solomon recognize?
5. Why is God pleased with Solomon’s request?
6. What conditional promise did God make to Solomon?
7. What do we observe about Solomon’s subsequent worship?
Posted on April 25th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Mark 8:22-26
Title: Seeing Clearly
1. Why does Jesus do what he does with the blind man?
2. Why is this healing in stages, unlike any other?
3. Is there any connection with what goes before; e.g. Mk. 8:18?
4. To what does this healing point?
Text: John 1:35-51
Title: They Followed Jesus
For the Lord’s Day evening service, our preacher will be the Reverend Richard Wilson, a minister of the Presbyterian Church of Australia, who is involved with a ministry to Reformed and Presbyterian ministers and congregations in India.
Posted on April 16th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Mark 8:14-21
Title: Understanding Leaven
1. What does Jesus mean by leaven?
2. What was the leaven of the Pharisees? Of Herod?
3. Why did Jesus’ disciples not understand his meaning?
4. How did Jesus deal with his dull disciples?
Text: 1 Kings 3:1-5
Title: Loving God with Imperfect Service
1. How did Solomon regard God?
2. How did Solomon regard the instructions of his father David?
3. Should we be concerned with his treaty with Pharaoh?
4. How about his marriage to Pharaoh’s daughter?
5. Was worship at “high places” acceptable?
Posted on April 11th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Mark 8:10-13
Title: Sign of Unbelief
1. Where is Dalmanutha?
2. For what were the Pharisees asking?
3. Why did Jesus sigh?
4. What about “this generation”?
5. What was the significance of Jesus’ departure?
Text: 1 Kings 2:26-46
Title: Curses and Blessing
1. How was Abiathar’s exile a fulfillment of prophecy (v. 27)?
2. How was the blood of Abner and Amasa prevented from returning upon the head of Solomon and his kingdom (v. 33)?
3. How does the LORD return wickedness upon the head of Shimei (v. 44)?
4. Who was Benaiah?
Posted on April 4th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Mark 8:1-10
Title: How Can One Satisfy These People
1. How does this event compare with the feeding of the 5000 in Mark 6:30-34?
2. How does this differ from that previous feeding?
3. What do we learn of the compassion of Jesus?
4. What did the disciples fail to understand?
5. What do we learn of Jesus’ power?
Text: 1 Kings 2:12-35
Title: Kingdom Established
1. What was wrong with Adonijah’s request?
2. How was this a test for Solomon?
3. What prophesy was fulfilled by Abiathar’s exile?
4. For what crime was Joab executed?
Posted on March 26th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Mark 7:31-37
Title: The Glory of the LORD
1. Where is the Decapolis?
2. Who was brought to Jesus? What did they want?
3. How did Jesus deal with this man?
4. How are we like this man?
5. What did Jesus command?
6. What was the response?
Text: 1 Kings 2:1-12
Title: Unfinished Business
1. What last words did David leave for his son and heir?
2. How is Solomon to be strong and prove himself a man?
3. What would be the results?
4. David asks Solomon to execute justice on two men. Was this revenge?
5. To whom was he to show kindness?
Posted on March 19th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Mark 7:24-30
Title: Seeking Christ and Finding
1. What do we learn in verses 24-24 about the will of Christ?
2. How may we find Christ?
3. What do we learn about intercessory prayer?
4. What do we learn of faith?
5. What do we learn of persistence?
Text: 1 Kings 1
Title: Who Is to be King?
1. What situation do we find at this time?
2. Is there a rebellion going on here?
3. How is rebellion halted?
4. How is the rightful heir made known?
5. What is the response of the rebellious?
6. Do we here find mercy?
Posted on March 12th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: Exodus 20:17
Title: Delight Yourself in the LORD
1. What is it to covet?
2. How is covetousness a root sin?
3. How is covetousness a self-perpetuating sin?
4. What does the tenth commandment require?
5. What is the cure for covetousness?
Text: Psalm 10
Title: When God Seems Far Away
1. What question does the psalmist ask?
2. Is this a sign of denial or belief?
3. With what is he confronted, and what is his plea?
4. How are the wicked described?
5. What petition does he ask of God in vv. 12-15?
6. How does he conclude in vv. 16-18?
Posted on March 6th, 2013 with Comments Off
Text: 2 Thessalonians 3:16-18
Title: Blessings from the Lord
1. Why does Paul make a point about his signature at the end of this letter?
2. What three things does he desire for believers in Thessalonika?
3. From where do these blessings come?
4. For whom are these blessings?
Text: Jeremiah 2:29-37
Title: You Are Not Guilty?
1. What makes Judah more guilty before God (vv. 30-31)?
2. V. 32: What is the root of their sin?
3. V. 33: What effect have they had on others?
4. V. 34: Besides idolatry, of what other crime are they guilty?
5. How does Israel plead in v. 35?
6. What results will they obtain from their efforts to help themselves (vv. 36-37)?